On January 12th, three 18th century cannon barrels were lifted from their carriages and strapped into a truck leaving FortFredericaNational Monument. This move is part of a contract to treat the iron pieces, which have been on display for over half a century. Each barrel will be cleaned of surface rust and resealed. When the contract is finished, the barrels will return to display next to the remains of FortFrederica.
All three cannon date to the early part of the 18th century during the rule of King George the Second. The smallest barrel was found in the FredericaRiver and is believed to be original to FortFrederica. The other two barrels were donations to the park from Jamaica in 1956, as a “goodwill gesture from a British Colony to a former British Colony.”