On July 23rd, the Postal Service issued a new stamp of the Fort Jefferson Lighthouse in Dry Tortugas NP. It joins four other lighthouses â Matagorda Island, near Port OâConnor, Texas; Sabine Pass, near Sabine Pass, Louisiana; Biloxi, in Biloxi, Mississippi; and Sand Island, near the entrance to Mobile Bay in Mobile, Alabama â in the latest issuance of the US Postal Service's popular lighthouse stamp series.
The Harbor Light on Garden Key in Dry Tortugas National Park was constructed in 1876 by the US Army Corps of Engineers. This light replaced the original Tortugas Harbor Light that was constructed in 1825 and was located within the parade ground of historic Fort Jefferson. The existing light is a hexagonal, wrought iron tower. The light is no longer an active aid to navigation but is still a contributing structure to the overall historic significance of Fort Jefferson and Dry Tortugas National Park.
After damage from the 2005 hurricanes, the National Park Service took this opportunity to replace non-historic windows with historically accurate shutters and doors. A historic preservation crew from Bandelier National Monument is currently finishing the installation of these shutters and doors in cooperation with the cultural resources staff of Dry Tortugas National Park.