|Thursday, Jul 23, 2009|
Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument, originally established as Gran Quivira National Monument in 1909, will turn 100 years old on November 1st. In celebration of this anniversary, special events are occurring in each month this year.
Some of the events to date include a two-month-long Friday night lecture series, two weeks of special Junior Ranger programs, Native American dancing and drumming programs, pottery making, flint knapping, special rock art tours, a youth mariachi concert and flamenco dancing.
The parkâs parade float (above) won first place in the Fourth of July parade in the town of Mountainair parade. The park also hosted a car show at its Mountainair Headquarters that day that was attended by 750 visitors.
On November 1st, the date of its establishment, the park will host an alumni reunion. If you have worked at Salinas Pueblo Missions and you can come, please contact Norma Pineda at 505 847 2585 ext. 21.
Other upcoming events, all free of charge, include the following:
- August (date TBA) â A photography workshop.
- August 8th, 7 p.m. â A costumed living history program at Gran Quivira of Major James Carlton returning to Manzano after 155 years featuring park guide Craig Morgan.
- August 15th, 7 p.m. â Park guide Aaron Sumerlin will be giving a fireside talk entitled âThe Encomienda System in Colonial New Spainâ at Manzano Mountain State Park
- August 20th, 3 p.m. â De Profundis, an a capella menâs choir, will be giving a concert at Quarai.
- August 29th, 7 p.m. â Resources and facilities manager Marc Lefrancois will be giving a fireside talk entitled âThe Architectural History of the Salinas Missions: Physical and Documentary Interpretationsâ at Manzano Mountain State Park.
- September 5th (time TBA) â Fiesta mass and fiesta at Abó
- September 19th, 7 p.m. â A costumed living history program at Gran Quivira of Major James Carlton returning to Manzano after 155 years featuring park guide Craig Morgan.
- October 3rd â A costumed living history program entitled âAn Evening with the Historic Characters of Salinas Pueblo Missionsâ which will present four of the major players in the drama of the establishment of Gran Quivira National Monument, to be held at Gran Quivira.
- October 16th (time TBA) â A star party featuring the Lake County Astronomical Society from Illinois at Gran Quivira.
- November 1st â Alumni reunion (time, location and activities TBA)
- December (dates TBA) â An ornament decorating contest for Mountainair students and evening luminaria (farolito) tours of the ruins.