On Thursday afternoon, a Student Conservation Association (SCA) student assigned to Wind Cave was doing vegetation transects when he was bitten by a rattlesnake. The student was air evacuated to Rapid City Regional Hospital, placed on an anti-venom drip, and hospitalized overnight. At the time of the report late on Thursday, the student was doing well. He was expected to receive two more doses of anti-venom medication before being released on Friday afternoon. Ranger Jill Jaworski accompanied the student to the hospital to provide agency assistance and support.