On August 9, 2007, park staff and volunteers, including skilled craftsman and staff from Duke Energy, labored on a hot, humid day to bring a much needed project to completion. Oak logs weighing 500 to 800 pounds each were hoisted into position as the cabin took shape. The original storehouse, built in 1754 was used to store provisions and ammunition for the Virginia Regiment commanded by 22 year old George Washington. The storehouse and the stockade were burned by the French and Indians after they defeated Washingtonâs troops on July 3, 1754. A reconstructed fort has stood on the site since 1932 as a memorial to and as an aid in the interpretation of the battle.