Monday, Jul 15, 2013
The Office of Legislative and Congressional Affairs puts out weekly reports on hearings, new legislation and other activities on the Hill. This report covers the week ending on Friday, July 12th.
In order to obtain the full text of any of the bills that appear below, click on the following link: http://thomas.loc.gov/ . That will take you to Thomas, the Library of Congress legislative tracking system. Enter the bill number in the “Search Bill Text” block, being sure to also click on the “Bill Number” option below the block.
New Public Laws
Nothing to report.
On July 10th, the Senate passed by unanimous consent H.R. 588 (Young, R-AK-At Large), to provide for donor contribution acknowledgments to be displayed at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Visitor Center, and for other purposes. The Department testified in the House in support of the bill with amendments. Senate passage clears the bill for the President.
On July 9th, the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation (Bishop) held an oversight hearing on the “Public Impact of Closing Amenities at Yosemite National Park.” The Department’s witness was Director Jon Jarvis.
On July 11th, the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee (Wyden) held a hearing on S. 1237 (Wyden, D-OR), a bill to improve the administration of programs in the insular areas, and for other purposes. Two sections of the bill regarding proposed designations in the U.S. Virgin Islands are of interest to the National Park Service: Section 10 would establish the Castle Nugent National Historic Site, which the Department supports. Section 11 would establish the St. Croix National Heritage Area. The Department supports the objectives of this section but recommends that Congress enact National Heritage Area program legislation before designating any new heritage areas. The Department’s witness was Eileen Sobek, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary for Insular Affairs.
New Bills Introduced
The following bills of interest to the NPS were introduced:
- S. 1160 (Blumenthal, D-CT), a bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to allow a credit against income tax for qualified conservation contributions which include National Scenic Trails.
- H.R. 2617 (Edwards, D-4-MD), to establish the Apollo Lunar Landing Sites National Historical Park on the Moon, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2634 (Forbes, R-VA-4), to modify the boundary of Petersburg National Battlefield in the Commonwealth of Virginia, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2636 (Lowey, D-NY-17), to authorize the Secretary of the Interior to conduct a special resource study of the Hudson River Valley, New York.
Upcoming Committee Activity
On July 17th, the House Natural Resources Committee (Hastings) will hold an oversight hearing on “The Department of the Interior Operations, Management, and Rulemakings.” The hearing is scheduled for 10:00 am in 1324 Longworth. The Department’s witness will be Secretary Sally Jewell.
On July 17th, the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Water and Power (McClintock) will hold an oversight hearing on “A Washington, DC-Based Bureaucratic Invention with Potential Water Conservation and Property Rights Impacts: The National Blueways Order.” The hearing is scheduled for 2:00 pm in 1334 Longworth. The Department’s witness has not been determined.
On July 19th, the House Natural Resources Subcommittee on Public Lands and Environmental Regulation (Bishop) will hold a hearing on the following bills of interest to the National Park Service. The hearing is scheduled for 9:00 am in 1324 Longworth. The Department’s witness has not been determined:
- H.R. 2068 (Lummis), to reauthorize the Federal Land Transaction Facilitation Act, and for other purposes.
- H.R. 2395 (Hastings), to provide for donor contribution acknowledgments to be displayed at projects authorized under the Commemorative Works Act, and for other purposes.
- S. 304 (Cochran), a bill to direct the Secretary of the Interior to convey to the State of Mississippi two parcels of surplus land within the boundary of the Natchez Trace Parkway, and for other purposes.
- S. 459 (Johnson), a bill to modify the boundary of the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site in the State of South Dakota, and for other purposes.
For additional information, please visit the Legislative and Congressional Affairs Office website at http://www.nps.gov/legal/