Andersonville National Historic Site is pleased to announce the opening of its latest temporary exhibit, Andersonville's New Deal: The Civilian Conservations Corps. The exhibit introduces visitors to one of the most popular work programs of the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps or CCC. Company 1411 of the CCC established a tent camp at Andersonville in September 1934 and opened a more permanent camp the following month. The exhibit utilizes photographs, artifacts and text to show the impact of the CCC on Andersonville. The exhibit will be on display until spring of 2012.
Army Camp Number 3, Company 1411, worked in the Civil War prison site at Andersonville for one year. Among their accomplishments were road surfacing, landscaping, erosion control and projects at Providence Spring. Company 4455 took over the camp buildings in 1936 after the departure of Company 1411. The new arrivals were responsible for beautification and landscaping projects in Andersonville National Cemetery.
Andersonville National Historic Site is located 10 miles south of Oglethorpe, GA and 10 miles northeast of Americus, GA on Georgia Highway 49. The site features the National Prisoner of War Museum, Andersonville National Cemetery and the site of the historic Civil War prison, Camp Sumter. Andersonville National Historic Site is a unit of the National Park System and serves as a memorial to all American prisoners of war. Park grounds are open from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm with the museum opening at 8:30 am. Admission is free. For more information on the park, call 229 924-0343, visit on the web at www.nps.gov/ande/, or find us on Facebook at facebook.com/AndersonvilleNPS