Two historic buildings burned on the night of Saturday, September 25th, at the historic Quincy Smelting Works site. The 30-acre site, home to a (now) 26-building 19th century copper smelting complex, is in the Quincy Mining Company National Historic Landmark District (1989). The cooper/carpenter shop (1898) and lumber shed (1917) were contributing structures to the NHL, which is within the park. The fire was called in by an alert citizen from across the Portage Shipping Canal in Houghton around 11 p.m. and drew a response from five area volunteer fire departments as well as the City of Hancock. While the two buildings are a total loss, firefighters were able to cool the adjacent smoldering Cooper Stock building before the fire spread and caused further damage. No cause has yet been determined, but the state fire marshal is expected to inspect the scene soon. For more information and a photo, click on the link below.