National Parks Gallery
National Parks Gallery



Members
Email
Password
Register
Get Password
Passports
Members

National Parks

Park News National Park News RSS Feed
Links

Media Types
Pictures
Maps
Panoramas
Web Cams
Documents



War Department Tower

Antietam National Battlefield

Pictures

ADDED: Oct 1, 2005 20:19VIEWS: 4,148
SIZE: 37.7 KB
RATING: 0.00 (32 votes)
Sunrise over Bloody LaneMemorial Illumination >
War Department Tower
The tower was built by the War Department in 1896. The military established a park in 1890, before the Park Service even existed, to bring military members to the field and study the battle. The Park was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933. At the base of the tower is the Irish Brigade Monument which was dedicated in October of 1997.


Genealogy

Ruby on Rails