For nearly four hours, Union and Confederate infantry contested this sunken country road, resulting in over 5,000 casualities. Thus the name "Bloody Lane." The tower in the background was built by the War Department in 1896. The military established a park in in 1890, before the Park Service even existed, to bring military members to the field and study the battle. The park was transferred to the National Park Service in 1933.